Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #3

1. I am really going to miss Bounce when she goes to full day kindergarten next year. I am beside myself already and there are months separating that day from now.

2. I miss my other kids who are already in school.

3. I don't know how to connect with my teenagers anymore to have meaningful conversation. It only happens occasionally. Is is in part due to the fact that they are boys?

4. I'm back with little time to finish... let's see what I can pull out of my...

5. Interesting reading found on the internet this week which was totally unrelated to what I was googling for:
Sympathetic Vibratory Physics. Here's a quote from the website http://www.svpvril.com/musicuni.html

"The universe consists solely of waves of motion." relates Walter Russell in chapter 31 of A New Concept of the Universe. Another way of saying this is: "There exists nothing other than vibration." In Russell's statement lies the base for his next blast at orthodoxy's belief in a material universe: "Any theory which cannot find a fitting place within the wave has no other place for it in Nature." Hard words for sure but can they stand up to scrutiny? Is it possible to create a paradigm of nature that is structured entirely on wave or vibration theory? Investigating the pioneer work of John W. Keely's Sympathetic Vibratory Physics2 would lead us to believe this is so."

6. According to my Mom, who of course has read a libraries worth of books. the stars used to make music before humans messed up the atmosphere. I haven't explored this theory with her beyond this statement.

7. When I was little I used to have a very hard time shopping in stores because I would hear a high pitched noise in most stores that I would enter which I now think must have been created from the flourescent lighting. I think I must have slowly acclimated to the noise and no longer hear it even though it's probably still there.

8. Speaking of childhood quirks, when going to sleep at night as an adolescent I used to get the words to commercials stuck in my head and would make myself repeat back the entire commercial with perfect diction before I'd allow myself to fall asleep.

9. I also used to worry about knives coming through the wall when I would go to bed at night... don't ask me where that fear came from. Now my bed doesn't touch any wall except at the head of the bed which was never a concern.

10. The summer before 10th grade a boy not much older than me held a knife over my head supposedly "kidding around". I was lucky to get out of that situation and I had a different kind of fear of knives for some time after that incident.

11. My kids are waiting for me to put them to bed. I am having a hard time cramming this list.

12. Going back to quirks, I used to be really sensitive to textures especially things like velvet and newsprint. ONe of my kids has this same problem. My fingers would always feel too dry when touching those textures and I'd lick them if I had to touch things like that... try imagining having the pleasure and pain of reading a book with that condition. It was painful. This is another case where although textures still bother me, I don't have to lick my fingers anymore (it's called hand lotion) and I can read a whole newsprint book without shuddering.

13. Bounce is nagging me. So, I'll leave number 13 as this: My #2 son has the same sensitivity to textures that I do. #1 son used to have major texture issues but with different textures... seams in his socks, shirts and underwear. He didn't wear underwear until he was almost 12... at least not regularly.

Phew! Done!

2 comments:

SUSAN said...

There is a name for that texture thing...my niece had it. She would take her socks off and put them back on several times before putting her shoes on. I can't remember the name of that sensitivity but it's more common than you think.

Susan

Ampersand said...

I definitely have that texture thing and so does my ds! I drove my mom crazy when I was a kid. I've been able to be more understanding with mine, tho, considering I am as tetched has he is :).