Saturday, June 2, 2007

Town or Country!

Town or country... either is fine if it's that which is considered a true "town" and true "country". What does that mean? In a true town, you don't have to get in your car to stop in and say high at the local coffee shop or to pick up a gallon of milk. I lived in a true town once. The name of the town was Orange City, Iowa. Unfortunately, I only got to live there for 3rd and 4th grade. I was able to walk to the dime store, which would be considered today's dollar store, to get candy. I could walk to and from school without my Mom accompanying me. In fact, I walked or rode my bike just about everywhere without parental supervision and nothing bad ever happened to me. I didn't spend hour after hour being shuttled from one store to the next or from one practice to the next. Across the street from my house was a park with a public pool and playground. There really is nothing better than being able to wake up on a summer day and run across the street to the pool, unchaperoned, and stay there from opening at 10 am until close at 6 pm.

I love the country, too. Acres upon acres of land to explore. The freedom to run naked without the possibility of exposure to your neighbor's disapproving look unless they happen to be trespassing upon your property. Freedom to let your weeds grow knee high and call it a field instead of a front or backyard. The ability to see the shadows created by clouds passing overhead cross a meadow ever so slowly. Viewing a thunderstorm occuring miles away while basking in the sunshine hitting your own property. Seeing the stars at night, really seeing them. All of these things make me long to live in the country.

I haven't mentioned the interpretation of "town" meaning a city as opposed to Main Street USA but I even find highly likable things about cities. I love being able to walk or take the subway everywhere. Craving hot and sour in the middle of the night and being able to find a hole in the wall open willing to serve it to you is worth millions. No country place or town can offer that kind of availability. Street artists and musician's, little cafe's with outside tables, parks with free entertainment, museums, and a melting pot of people are just a few of my favorite things about cities.

I live in none of these places. I live in the suburbs.

(This writing prompt is from Sunday Scribblings which you will find a link to in my side bar)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your provoking thought let me also thinking about my dreams of living on a huge land and just watching the sun set and the kids playing in the garden without a worry.

Yeah. But at least as long as we are in Singapore I guess this will have to be a dream for if I did decide to run from here to there I will have probably run out of the country :D

Anonymous said...

I missed the SS prompt this week. In a sentence: country with a small town nearby and city in small doses.

Remember the book "Country Mouse City Mouse?"

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Definitely remember the book. In fact, that book is what first came to mind. It's hard for me to pick one over the other since both have such good things to offer.

Molly said...

I think everyone searches for a compromise!

Crafty Green Poet said...

small city with lots of green spaces is my compromise. Orange City sounds like a good place to have spent some of your childhood.